One problem I used to frequently run into in is that I’d give a client a quote. For a Magento (E-commerce) project is not always an easy step. Magento is a complex framework and offers you some ready solutions/functionality. On the other hand some times it is time consuming implementing custom features.
So I would like to consider a general scenario in which a new client ask for a quote about a project that aims to implement a Magento Store and try to figure out all the critical points that can be time consuming.
Once identified those critical points it will be easy to create a checklist of question that you can do to your new client.
Here an example :
- Is the store new?
- Or is it and old one ? (Is there a need to migrate or upgrade Magento?)
- Expected number of product/categories?
- Expected traffic on the site?
- Is a Server Administrator service required? (Hosting config, SVN management, cache config)
- Which custom/extra features do you want in you store (extra functionality for front/backend)
- What external services do you want to integrate with Magento ? (feeds, payment/shipment methods)
- How many website/frontend you want for your store? ( website/StoreView structure you have in mind. )
- How many different languages do you want to handle?
What kind of Promotions do you want to offer ? (E.g. buy one get one free, free shipping on orders above value X, etc.)
What kind of products do you want to sell ? (virtual, downloadable, configurable etc. ?)
Can you share a Home/Categories/Product page layout?