I am a member of a team of programmers. We do not have a real boss as we work as a group. Each member of a group took non-programming tasks on himself as well, which mainly means that they do testing and coding. It's a 10-hour-a-day job.
Now, since I am the most talkative and experienced person on the team, I got more management tasks and cut my programming to the minimum. When the day ends, I feel like I need 40 hours rather than 10 in each working day.
I have been asking myself if I am not well organized, or if I took too many tasks upon myself. I will list all the roles I have in our team so maybe someone can reply to my question.
My roles are:
- a person who talks to clients
- a person who seeks clients (newspapers, friends, old clients, etc.)
- a person who writes project specifications for the ongoing projects
- a person who does project management by assigning tasks to other colleagues and monitors their progress (then reports it to clients)
- a person who seeks new contractors when some project or part of it needs to be outsourced, interviews them and makes/choose quality tests
- a person who does minor (1-2 hours) fixes in the projects
Does this seem like too much for one person? When I look at this list it doesn't look like too much to me. If it's too much, which part needs to be assigned to someone else?