I have a similar problem on my last project, where people doesn´t know nothing about project management and nothing about scrum and even nothing about planning.
I started only with some parts of scrum and it´s working very fine. I used:
- First meetings with stakeholders to define needs and priorities (this happens almost every 2 weeks);
- Meetings with development team to define the tasks that will need to
do (this happens every time that we finish last sprint);
- Planning poker to establish efforts (happens together with the sprint meetings);
- Kanban board to distribute the tasks;
- Very quickly daily review of tasks that are ongoing;
I used it as a simple way, not too much information on they´re heads, so, people get involved quickly.
Now they can see what is going on and who is working and who is not;
They are also collaborating as a team on the meetings;
Also, our kanban board is scheduled by date limit (1 week) so we delivery changes, at least, every 1 week. They are happy because project seems to go on and not stucked on some phase that no one knows where.
I think people here are almost ready to grow up to some next level of management.