Our company is trying to adopt a more rigorous Agile methodology (including Sprints and Scrums and all that fun stuff. We even got a JIRA subscription!), and we've run into a couple issues.
The biggest one (to me, anyway, as I am frequently affected) is that we do not know how to deal with Sprint stories that are partially dependent on an external third party. Consider the following (simplistic, vague, and abstract) story:
Story: Brand Web Page for Acme Inc.
Subtasks (Story Points):
- Create custom build paths for Acme-branded Client (1)
- Retrieve logo images and color replacements from Acme (??????)
- Add Acme images and colors to build process (0.5) (dependent on/blocked by #3)
So here's my question. If we're planning the Sprint:
- How do I estimate a task that isn't mine to complete (e.g. #3 above)
- How do I estimate tasks that are mine to complete, but are dependent on tasks that aren't mine (e.g. #4 above)
- What should we do when external tasks blow their estimates (e.g. #3 above was only supposed to take them 2 days, but ends up taking them a week)? What are our options?