A classic scenario: Revamp a website with a new color scheme and a left navigation bar.
After the team has started working on it for a while, upper management decides to go with a completely different color scheme and a 3-panel navigational/highlight design.
In terms of team morale, what is better/worse?
- Should we call it quits and restart?
- Cancel the first project and start a new project. New code name, clear out the old schedules and tickets. Possibly shuffle the teams a bit. Maybe have a quick post-mortem and launch party.
- My concern here is that the team may feel that it wasted its time and never completed the project.
- Or should we just treat it as a change request, and do as little change as possible?
- Pretend it's the same project, tweak the schedule slightly as needed and have a quick meeting to inform everybody about the changes.
- My concern here is that the project seems to drag on forever, with the fear that another major redesign may yet ambush us again.
Or maybe there are other options I have not thought of.