0

We are working since couple of years with an CMS. Until now our working model was divided in the following phases:

  1. Preparation

    • Online Meetings
    • Soft Kick off-online
    • Scoping Workshop
    • Concepting

    • Summarization

    • Output: Proposal
  2. Realisation

    • Installation/Hosting
    • Design & Theming
    • Konfiguration
    • Programming
    • Quality Assurance
    • Training preparation
  3. Training & Testing

    • Admin-Training
    • User Acceptance Testing
    • UAT attendance
    • Finishing
  4. Go Live

    • Preparation
    • Transformation from Test to Live
    • Acceptance Live-Instance
    • GO LIVE
    • Post Go Live attendance

The problem with this model is, that we are strugleling in the most of the time with the projects. In each moment we have misscommunication or lack of resources.
Right now we have about 30% work of the preparation and the other 70% are in the last 3 phases. As it seems that is not enough. It is every time the same CMS, just with adapting some changes to fit the customer (as in the configuration, as well in the code). How to transfer that, so most of the work happens even before the actual realisation of the project? Or even to automate it? It won't bother us, if we make one big preparation and the just fit it to each project. But where to finde guidance for such work to be done?

We have in our team:

  • back end developer
  • front end developer
  • project manager
  • support team (doing mostly configuration

closed as unclear what you're asking by Marv Mills, Barnaby Golden, Mark C. Wallace, Mark Phillips May 29 '16 at 3:55

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    It is very difficult to understand both the problem you are trying to resolve and exactly what you are asking for. Forgetting the details of the team and the work for the moment- what is the problem you need to solve? – Marv Mills May 24 '16 at 13:12
  • I don't see a problem; you have a process and you're mature enough to know that 70% of your effort is spent in 3 phases of the project. I'd be thrilled to be in your shoes. Are you not meeting your deadlines/projections? I think the answer might be embedded in ". . . every time the same CMS....", but I don't understand the problem described by that sentence. – Mark C. Wallace May 24 '16 at 19:20
  • Are you developing a content management system (CMS) or using one to manage your project? – WaltHouser May 24 '16 at 21:16
0

A phased approach to CMS implementation often indicates that you've optimized for resource efficiency rather than flow efficiency. While this does a good job of keeping your specialists productive, it usually leads to slower delivery times for features, due to the hand-offs between team members or the transition between phases.

See Johanna Rothman's series on resource vs. flow efficiency for some ideas about changing your working model. http://www.jrothman.com/mpd/agile/2015/09/resource-efficiency-vs-flow-efficiency-part-1-seeing-your-system/

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.