I have a schedule broken down by building number (bldg. 1-39); I have inputted the tasks for bldg. 1 (approx. 200) and need to copy and paste this to the other 39 buildings. I can't seem to do this without everything shifting (losing a bldg. etc.) Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
This is a common task in scheduling as projects often have similar blocks of tasks. With MS Project, the key is to collapse the tasks to a summary level before you copy/paste them.
Steps for duplicating blocks of tasks:
- Create a summary task and name is something like "Building 1".
- Move all the tasks for this building under the summary task.
- Collapse the summary task so all you see is the one summary row.
- Select that row and copy it (Ctrl+C).
- Select the next blank row and paste (Ctrl+V).
- Collapse the new summary task.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 until you have a summary task for each building.
- Rename the new summary tasks as appropriate.