As newly assigned manager on an already ongoing agile software development project, one of the objectives is the following.
Motivate team to high performance
This can be done in various ways and might be different for each individual team member. Daniel Pink talks about motivation by:
- Mastery: The urge to get better skills.
- Autonomy: Our desire to be self-directed. It increases engagement over compliance.
- Purpose: The desire to do something that has meaning and is important.
In an article by RisePeople they suggest measuring performance by the following 5 metrics.
- Attendance: poor attendance can be a lack of motivation.
- Helpfulness: increases productivity.
- Efficiency: looking for missed deadlines.
- Initiative: a sign of team satisfaction and engagement.
- Quality: shows that the team cares what they do.
Most metrics seem difficult to define and measure and I have no experience with it. I would like to hear any ideas or experience on how to approach this and align it with senior management expectations?