May I know some points to keep in mind while playing as a Team Lead in a Software Company? What should make me a good leader from the point of Technology, Management skills, Personal behavior etc
- be a leader and a coach
- foster an environment open to collaboration
- encourage discussion, technical and team focused
- encourage improvements
- support them
- remove organizational impediments (if possible)
- be a teacher
- be their manager
- fall into the trap of making commitments for them when asked
- assign work to them
- decide HOW something is done
- take on all accountability for the team
- be a teller
The best and most highly respected team leads I have worked with are collaborative leaders that support the team. Much like the ScrumMaster role in Agile.
A team leader is a coach and a model for his team. So AFAIK following qualities are most important for team leader,
- Respond immediately to any problem and arrive at a solution before it escalates.
- Make every team member believe that he belongs to the team.
- Listen to everybody views and then take decisive action.
- good motivator
- Use the full capabilities of your team members
- Develop a sense of responsibility for the team members
- Learn how you need to build Success
The most 'effective' thing a team lead can do is to empower and make the team effective. Help them grown professionally, facilitate them, remove obstacles in their way - all the activities that are people focused and that help them do their job in a better way. Many leaders fail when they can't make the transition from 'technology focused' to 'people focused'. Note that as team lead your success is a function of success of the team and it's members (and vice versa).
You should review the Jim Collins 5 levels of leadership model: Jim Collins and Level 5 Leadership
First, you should perhaps reconsider what you are doing if you feel that you're playing the role of the "team lead". You're either leading the team or you're not....
To be a great leader you need to understand some key principles:
- Provide support to your team members without removing responsibility for action!
- Maintain or enhance self esteem
- Listen and respond with empathy
- Share thoughts feeling and rationale
- Ask for help and encourage involvement
If you are uncertain on any of these principles I would highly encourage you to read: Zapp! The Lightning of Empowerment: How to Improve Quality, Productivity, and Employee Satisfaction
It's a great starting point for new team leads!