I'm designing an IT project sheet for my department. I have a certain methodology in mind, but i'm trying to translate it into Project's configuration.
Here's what I'd like to do:
- I want to set max untis for each resource in my department to a % of their 8 hour day (i.e. 40% of 8 hours each day for projects, or 3.2hrs / day)
- Then I want to manually estimate the amount of time a task will take to complete (backup accounting data - 8 hours)
- Then I want to assign a resource to a task, and based on the estimated amount of time for that task relative to the max units (hours/day) the assigned resource can spend on that task, I want project to auto-adjust the duration and the start/finish times
I was under the impression that I could accomplish this by setting:
- Project Work Times - m-f 8a-12p & 1p-5p (8 hours/day, 5 days a week)
- Default Task Type - Fixed Work
- Max units for resource - 20%
- Manually set 'Work" column to estimated hours for task
- Assign resource to task
- Then 'Duration' & 'Start/Finish' columns should auto-adjust based on preset criteria
For whatever reason this seems to not be working, or possibly working in a way i'm not understanding.
For example, I indicated a task would take 8 hours, and I assigned a resource to it with max untis 40% (3.2 hours / day), but for that specific task assigned the resource's 'Units' at 100% (i.e. I want this resource to spend 100% of their 3.2 hrs/day on this task alone), and yet the duration column states 1 day, and the start/finish columns both have the same day.
Given my assumptions, I would expect the 8 hour task to be broken up into 3.2 hour increments per day based on max units% for the resource, so the duration should be 2.5 business days (8 divided by 3.2 = 2.5) and start finish should reflect that based on the defined project work week.
Does anyone know what/how I need to configure my project to accomplish this? What am I missing?