Note: At first I wrongly posted this question to the original Stackoverflow site
Let's say that for a software project I have:
- a complete project plan;
- a software requirements specification;
- a software architecture document;
- a lead developer;
- and (me as a project manager).
I need to hire 1-4 freelance developers to get different parts of the project done.
My plan is to use odesk, elance, etc. to find the needed workers. Then I will set up Redmine or JIRA to organize the workflow (tickets, deadlines, etc.). I am also going to introduce daily email reports on what has been done so far (required from each worker). I will use escrow for payments to these freelancers. I am not going to hire the cheapest freelancers.
But before I do that, I would like to know:
- are there any special things I need to know and to do before I start working with freelancers?
- are there any best practices to manage such a distributed team of freelancers effectively?
- does my overall plan look feasible and realistic? (from your experience).