i like to respond to the same question as a resource ( well my company also uses the same word for employees) giving my point of view.. Watch out if your resource is facing some or any of these issues?
I was an extrovert, motivated and extremely hard working employee when joined. was putting more then 15 hours to work every day without getting extra paid
i was being hired for some different Profile and then after joining was being assigned a relatively low profiled task(QA).
My skill set was under-utilized in the company.
4.I alone was single back up for more than 15 employees adding to lot of work load.that was high time when i realised i ended up doing more then 50% testing alone for a big project for which client was being charged for 20 QA's
5.i have multiple Managers, Leads, heads and bosses all assigning different task all with Top priories
6.At the same time facing office politics(regional discrimination).
- when tried to escalate few unacceptable things or providing any feedback, suggestions, it was often taken as complaints, and was Manager response was we don't escalate things!
8.i was a borrowed resource for the project(originally BA, working for QA). not even single manager provided a listening ear. As for the Project i am not a permanent resource, for the original team- i never worked with them so they are nt the one responsible for my problems.
9.while giving ETA resources are not being consulted even once( As a shock my boss used to include all holidays as working days, never used to calculate application downtime, emergency back up resource etc).
10 If we give any comments on ETA, its considered that we are resisting work.
- we never got any comp off or reward for working on holidays or late evenings
12.Manager already knowing well that strict deadlines are set for the project, even then assigning multiple task parallel.. half of time is wasted in unnecessary meetings and compulsory training.
i find all the managers interested only in feedback from employees who have yes boss approach and are able to provide him hot n spicy information in workplace.i tried to talk to many senior managers, but i found they take feedback only from Managers!!
I am a women, and complaint against a womenizer (high designated ) to one of my Lady manager and HR- in place of killing the issue and punishing hidden black sheep, i was officially transited to his team
i used to initially interact alot and make Manager understand consequences of Faulty ETA and poor resoucre allocation etc. but now after whole 3 years of struggle .. i left giving un-invited feedback. utmost irritated in the past.. i let the deadlines suffer. Let him have some heat. i stopped working more then 9-10 hrs/day. when assigning any task my comapany does not want to listen when you can finish. they want to listen'Yes' i will do that. So now i keep silent, keeping my manager in CC'ing.. keeping a written proof that i am overloaded.. don't expect task in time!
why employees in IT and given only responsibility.. why there is no delegation of authority?
Employees are ready to work more then their physical capacity, depend how you manage them. its easy to find all faults with employees, i work in a fortune 500 IT company and a member of Standard & Poor’s 500® Index but i see my company not even following basic rules of management:
1) Division of Work:the whole work should be divided into different parts and each individual should be assigned only one part of the work according to his ability and taste rather than giving the whole work to one person.
2) Authority and Responsibility:authority and responsibility should go hand in hand. It means that when a particular individual is given a particular work and he is made responsible for the results, this can be possible only when he is given sufficient authority to discharge his responsibility.
(3) Discipline: discipline to mean obedience, respect for authority, and observance of established rules.Discipline can be established by providing good supervision at all levels, clearly explaining the rules, and implementing a system of reward and punishment.
(4) Unity of Command:
According to the principle of unity of command, an individual employee should receive orders from only one superior at a time and that employee should be answerable only to that superior. If there are many superiors giving orders to the same employee, he will not be able to decide as to which order is to be given priority. He thus finds himself in a confused situation.
Such a situation adversely affects the efficiency of the subordinates. On the other hand, when there are many superiors, every superior would like his orders to be given priority. This ego problem creates a possibility of clash. Consequently, their own efficiency is likely to be affected.
(5) Unity of Direction:
Unity of direction means that there should be one head for one plan for a group of activities having the same objective. In other words, there should be one plan of action for a group of activities having the same objective and there should be one manager to control them.
Unity of command means that there should be only one manager at a time to give command to an employee, while the unity of direction means that there should be only one manager exercising control over all the activities having the same objective.
6) Subordination of Individual Interest to General Interest:
This principle can be named ‘Priority to General Interest over Individual Interest.’ According to this principle, the general interest or the interest of the organisation is above everything.
(7) Remuneration to Employees:employees should get a fair remuneration so that the employees and the owners find equal amount of satisfaction. It is the duty of the manager to ensure that employees are being paid remuneration according to their work.
I do agree to few points given by Tengurena. I never intend to write such a lengthy reply.. just that letting you know an employees POV.
Hope my feedback will open few Managers eyes who consider employees as just as resource!.