First things first
Vision should come after mission and values discussion. Vision must be associated with values as it communicates both the purpose and values of the organization.
In one of my recent projects, I used below steps:
1. Open discussion
I found good guided questions and steps on Mission Statement Builder for teams. I used those to brainstorm and open discussion with the team about team mission. Questions like:
- What does our team want to be known for?
- How do we want to treat each other?
- What kind of workplace do we want to have?
- What unique talents and skill does each person bring to the team?
- What do we want to achieve?
- What unique contributions can we make?
2. Everyone writes a vision statement
After mission and values discussion and prioritization, everyone asked to put a vision statement in his own way and communicate it on the project discussion board for all to read.
3. Highlight words
In later meeting, everyone say his statement, make short discussion. By the end, we highlighted important words (values, actions, target, ...) in the target statement.
4. Draft statements
I, then, took all statements, highlights, word and produce 2 draft statements. This could be also done in the previous step meeting.
5. Produce one statement
At last, with the team, put the 2 statements in front of all and choose which one or may be come out with combined one.
Things to consider
- Vision statements sometimes evolve with time and depend on the maturity level of the image of the end-product.
- It's also a good practice to look at other companies and products vision statements, sometime it's inspiring.