I have come to a team that is just starting to implement scrum. One reality that we are going to face is what to do when an emergency occurs.
In this case, we have a system that started failing while we were inside of our sprint. It's a critical system, so triageing the failure had to become the top priority.
Here's how I've done it in the past: (note, we were not using any sort of electronic scrum board or burndown, it was on paper and stickies):
- Wrote the fire up on a sticky that was a different color than the planned items
- Got an activity-point vote as soon as the team understood the problem well enough to vote it.
- If necessary, removed an item from the sprint backlog
- Updated the paper burn-down to reflect the change.
- Noted unplanned work in an Excel spreadsheet that we used for tracking our velocity
At this shop, we are trying to use TFS 2012 and the Scrum 2 template (with the web-based scrum board and burn down). Is there some guidance on how to notate this using the template?