For questions about all aspects of the initiation phase of projects.
Initiation is one of the phases of the project life-cycle. Different methodologies have different definitions of this phase, prescribes different activities and processes within this phase and put this phase in a different place within the life-cycle (for example, usually the initiation phase is first, but in PRINCE2 it is number two in the phases sequence). But common place in all methodologies is that during this phase the project team should determine the vision of the project and understand its scope.
Basic activities within the initiation phase are (quote from wiki article):
- analyzing the business needs/requirements in measurable goals
- reviewing of the current operations
- financial analysis of the costs and benefits including a budget
- stakeholder analysis, including users, and support personnel for the project
- project charter including costs, tasks, deliverables, and schedules
- Wiki article about initiation phase