Within our organization, from time to time, we need to promote a person to become a Project Manager / Project Leader / Team Leader. The promotion used to be done based on someone's intuition or opinion, like:
- This guy is communicative, he'll manage,
- This guy has 'people skills', he'll manage.
We've changed that approach by introducing "internal PM school". That is the background. Now, here is the problem:
How do we evaluate their skills after such internal training? I can imagine that it is quite easy for hard skills (risk management, planning, etc.), but what about the soft skills?
- How can you evaluate which candidate can handle stressful situations better?
- Which candidate can communicate with clients better?
- Which candidate can build a real team from a bunch of people?
The main question is this: Are there any strict pass / fail criteria for PM recruitment?